The Department of Microbiology offers several scholarships for outstanding undergraduate students. They include: the Maurice Ogur Memorial Prize, in honor of our former Department Chair; the Microbiology Alumni Scholarship and the Student Leadership Award, both funded by donations from former students; and the Faculty Scholarship in Microbiology, funded primarily through faculty donations. The application deadline for these scholarships is February 16, 2018. Undergraduate Tuition Waivers provided by the College of Science are also available.
Faculty Scholarship in Microbiology
- Awarded to an outstanding student majoring in microbiology. Award based on academic excellence.
Maurice Ogur Memorial Prize
- Awarded to outstanding student majoring in microbiology. Award based on academic excellence and financial need.
Microbiology Alumni Scholarship
- Awarded to an outstanding student majoring in microbiology who is in financial need and an active member of the Microbiology Student Organization.
Student Leadership Award
- Awarded to a student majoring in microbiology who has been active in a student leadership role in the department.
Undergraduate Tuition Waivers
- Awarded to outstanding students majoring in microbiology. Award based on academic excellence and financial need.
Students applying for the Maurice Ogur Memorial Prize, Microbiology Alumni Achievement Award, Student Leadership Award or Faculty Scholarship in Microbiology must be microbiology majors currently in their junior or senior year who have taken at least 45 hours at SIU, are enrolled for at least 12 hours in the semester in which they apply, and have a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average from work at SIU (or a 3.2 GPA in at least 12 hours of MICR coursework). Your application should contain the following:
- Copies of your complete transcripts up to the semester in which you are applying. These can be unofficial transcripts that you print out yourself.
- A one-page summary of your career goals in microbiology (e.g. why you are a microbiology major, what area of microbiology most interests you, what course(s) or research experiences stimulated you to become a microbiology major, your plans following graduation, etc.).
- A brief description of how you finance your education (e.g. work history, grants, loans, parents, spouse, etc.). Students can obtain a summary of their state and federal financial aid to date through the Office of Student Work and Financial Assistance. Please place this summary in your application.
Students applying for the Undergraduate Tuition Waiver must be microbiology majors who have taken or are currently enrolled in MICR 301, are enrolled for at least 12 hours in the semester in which the award is applied, and have a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average from work at SIU. Applications (PDF) are available here.
All information should be submitted to:
Department of Microbiology Scholarships Committee