Associate Professor, Emeritus
Research Specialities: Microbial physiology – Biodegradation of organic pollutants; Food safety – Control of food-borne pathogens. Useful organic compounds include those for fuel, protection of agricultural crops, preservation, solvents and munitions. Large amounts are released into the biosphere where they often have negative impacts. Numerous microorganisms can detoxify environmental pollutants. Research in my laboratory has focused on the biochemistry of degradation of toxic organic pollutants.
PhD, 1990, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Research in my laboratory has focused on the biochemical pathways and enzymes used by microorganisms to degrade polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). We isolated enzymes of the degradation pathway and studied their ability to transform PCBs to less toxic metabolites. Biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase of Burkholderia xenovorans LB400 is an enzyme that catalyzes the first reaction of the biphenyl/PCB degradation pathway. The enzyme attacks a broad range of PCB substrates and removes some of the chlorine. This finding is important because the presence of chlorine on organic compounds often makes them resistant to degradation. We would like to develop ways to expand the dechlorinating activity of biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase or similar enzymes to include other chlorinated pollutants.
Collaborative research with the researchers in the SIUC Departments off Plant Soil and Agricultural Systems and Chemistry have focused on methods to treat food to reduce contamination of food-borne pathogens such as Salmonella enterica, Escherichia coli and Bacillus cereus. Investigated methods include treatments with UV, non-thermal plasmas and naturally-occurring plant phenolic compounds.
Articles in Professional Journals
- Bandla, S., Choudhary, R., Watson, D. and Haddock, J. 2012. Impact of UV-C processing of raw cow milk treated in a continuous flow coiled tube ultraviolet reactor. Agricultural Engineering International:CIGR Journal, 14(2), 86-93. Link
- Bandla, S., Choudhary, R., Watson, D. and Haddock, J. 2012. UV-C treatment of soymilk in coiled tube UV reactors for inactivation of Escherichia coli W1485 and Bacillus cereus endospores. LWT Food Science and Technology, 46, 71-76. Link
- Choudhary, R., Umagiliyage, A. L. and Haddock, J. 2012. Aqua-ammonia pretreatment of corn stover for enhancing enzymatic saccharification. Int. J. Agric. Biol. Eng., 5, 56-61. Link
- Choudhary, R., Umagiliyage, A. L., Liang, Y., Siddaramu, T., Haddock, J. and Markevicius, G. 2012. Microwave pretreatment for enzymatic saccharification of sweet sorghum bagasse. Biomass and Bioenergy, 39, 218-226. Link
- Haddock, J.D. 2009. Aerobic degradation of aromatic hydrocarbons: enzyme structures and catalytic mechanisms. In Timmis, K. N. (ed). Handbook of Hydrocarbons and Lipid Microbiology. Springer, Heidelberg.
- Parales, R.E. and Haddock, J.D. 2004. Biocatalytic degradation of pollutants. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 15:374-379. PubMed link
- Frantz, E., Griswold, K., Apgar, G., Jacobson, B. and Haddock, J. 2003. Effectiveness of vegetative filter strips (VFS) for controlling pathogen loads and antibiotic resistance in dairy wastewater, p. 67-73. In: R.T. Burns (ed.), Animal, Agricultural and Food Processing Wastes IX. American Society of Agricultural Engineers. St. Joseph, MI. 3.
- Haddock, J.D. 2002. Biodegradation: role of oxygenase enzymes, p. 2288-2300. In G. Bitton (ed.), Encyclopedia of Environmental Microbiology. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Arnett, C., Parales, J. and Haddock, J. 2001. Oxidation of chlorinated biphenyls by biphenyl dioxygenase of Burkholderia sp. strain LB400. In L. Hansen and L. Robertson (eds.), Recent Advances in the Environmental Toxicology and Health Effects of PCBs. University Press of Kentucky, Lexington, 2001.
- Fain, M.G. and Haddock, J.D. 2001. Phenotypic and phylogenetic characterization of Burkholderia (Pseudomonas) sp. strain LB400. Curr. Microbiol. 42:269-275. PubMed link
- Arnett, C.M., Parales, J.V. and Haddock, J.D. 2000. Influence of chlorine substituents on rates of oxidation of chlorinated biphenyls by the biphenyl dioxygenase of Burkholderia sp. strain LB400. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:2928-2933. PubMed link
- Coates, J.D., Bruce, R.A. and Haddock, J.D. 1998. Microbial chlorite dismutation stimulates rapid polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon oxidation in anoxic sediments. Nature. 396:730. PubMed link
- Broadus, R.M. and Haddock, J.D. 1998. Purification and characterization of the NADPH:ferredoxin BPH oxidoreductase component of biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase from Pseudomonas sp. strain LB400. Arch. Microbiol. 170:106-112. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D., Pelletier, D.A. and Gibson, D.T. 1997. Purification and properties of ferredoxin BPH, a component of biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase of Pseudomonas sp. strain LB400. J. Ind. Microbiol. 19:355-359. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D. and Gibson, D.T. 1995. Purification and characterization of the oxygenase component of biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase from Pseudomonas sp. strain LB400. J. Bacteriol. 177:5834-5839. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D., Horton, J.R. and Gibson, D.T. 1995. Dihydroxylation and dechlorination of chlorinated biphenyls by purified biphenyl 2,3-dioxygenase from Pseudomonas sp. strain LB400. J. Bacteriol. 177:20-26. PubMed link
- Gibson, D.T., Cruden, D.L., Haddock, J.D., Zylstra, G.J. and Brand, J.M. 1993. Oxidation of polychlorinated biphenyls by Pseudomonas sp. strain LB400 and Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes KF707. J. Bacteriol. 175:4561-4564. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D. and Ferry, J.G. 1993. Initial steps in the anaerobic degradation of 3,4,5- trihydroxybenzoate by Eubacterium oxidoreducens: characterization of mutants and role of 1,2,3,5-tetrahydroxybenzene. J. Bacteriol. 175:669-673. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D., Nadim, L.M. and Gibson, D.T. 1993. Oxidation of biphenyl by a multicomponent enzyme fromPseudomonas sp. LB400. J. Bacteriol. 175:395-400. PubMed link
- Robertson, J.B., Spain, J.C., Haddock, J.D. and Gibson, D.T. 1992. Oxidation of nitrotoluenes by toluene dioxygenase: evidence for a monooxygenase reaction. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 58:2643-2648. PubMed link
- Haddock, J.D. and Ferry, J.G. 1990. Anaerobic metabolism of aromatic compounds. In D.L. Wise (ed.), Bioprocessing and Biotreatment of Coal. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.
- Haddock, J.D. and Ferry, J.G. 1989. Purification and properties of phloroglucinol reductase from Eubacterium oxidoreducens G-41. J. Biol. Chem. 264:4423-4427. PubMed link